Star Will Ask For Approval Of Lower-toxin Tobacco
PETERSBURG, Va. (AP) ¿ Tobacco company Star Scientific Inc. said Tuesday it will ask the Food and Drug Administration to approve a new method for making smokeless tobacco with reduced toxins.
Star Scientific said the new method of tobacco cultivation, curing and preparation is patented and will create tobacco leaves with low levels of tobacco-specific nitrosamines. The company said it believes it will have the lowest toxin levels of any tobacco product, and said it will ask for approval in early 2010, once testing is finished.
In afternoon trading, Star Scientific shares rose 12 cents, or 12.2 percent, to $1.08. The stock surged more than 22 percent earlier, and about 16.7 million shares changed hands by early afternoon. The average full day trading volume for Star Scientific shares is about 4 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV