Toni Sacconaghi, senior research analyst at Sanford Bernstein, agrees that Dell is likely to shift its focus onto enterprises.
"I think where Dell wants to move is another hot hardware category like storage," he told CNBC's Fast Money. Like Noland, Sacconaghi sees CommVault as a likely target, along with Compellent (CML), underlinging the firm's desire to transition from low-margin PCs.
Sacconaghi also listed Customer Relationship Management (CRM) specialist Salesforce.com (CRM) as potential M&A bait, which would certainly boost the firm's services business.Shares of CommVault closed down $1.45, or 6.76%, at $19.99 Monday as investors responded to Dell's Perot deal. CommVault, however, is not the only firm with de-duplication in its armory, and virtual tape library specialist FalconStor (FALC) could also be a potential target, along with Quantum (QTM) and privately-held Sepaton. -- Written by James Rogers in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV