The Incredible Shrinking Labor Force
The U.S. population is growing at an average rate of a little more than 1% per year. It is reasonable to expect that the labor force should also be growing. However, the civilian labor force has declined on year-to-year basis three different times in 2009. See the following graph.
The year-over-year change in the labor force was negative in January, July and August 2009. This is the first time this has occurred since the 1950s and early 1960s. In those years, Korean War and pre-Vietnam War military needs were producing high draft levels, which had a negative impact on the civilian labor force until the number of women in the labor force started to increase more rapidly.
Declining Labor Force Growth
There is a well-defined downtrend in the growth of the labor force starting about 1970. It may not be obvious when first looking at the noisy data of the graph above, but when the same data are smoothed using 12-month moving averages combined with trend lines, the declining labor force growth rate is very evident. See the following graph.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV