Justice Targets Bush Cabinet Official In Probe
Officials spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.
Norton could not be reached immediately for comment.
"We are aware of an investigation; however, we are not in a position to comment," said Kelly op de Weegh, a Shell spokeswoman.
The Interior Department's Office of Inspector General began the investigation toward the end of Bush's last term, after receiving complaints about the lease process. The IG's office made a formal referral to the Justice Department earlier this year after concluding there was probable cause of a criminal violation.The investigation was first reported by The Los Angeles Times. Prior to becoming Bush's first Interior secretary, Norton was Colorado's attorney general and had worked as a private lawyer for timber, oil and mining companies. At Interior, she supported expanded oil and gas drilling on government-owned land. The development of oil shale largely in the West was one of the technologies that the Bush administration wanted to explore aggressively. In response to a recommendation by then-Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force, the Interior's Bureau of Land Management issued six demonstration leases in Colorado and Utah.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV