NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors need to pay attention to individual companies for the most accurate read on how the economy is really faring, Jim Cramer told the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Friday.
Cramer then mentioned which stocks he'll be watching next week. He said the most pivotal stock reporting next week is BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM).When the company reports on Thursday, it will give us the latest read on the mobile Internet tsunami, said Cramer. But with RIM already up 20% in 20 days, he said he's staying away from the stock and will just use it as a gauge for the rest of the sector. He said drugstore-chain giant RiteAid (RAD) is being used as a play on the upcoming flu season, but with the company running a distant third behind rivals Walgreen (WAG) and CVS Caremark (CVS), he would use strength in RiteAid to buy the other two. For a read on the broader markets, Cramer's looking to ConAgra (CAG) and General Mills (GIS). If these historically defensive names rise on their earnings, he'd begin scaling out of more cyclical stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV