TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- My love for food stocks is not unrequited. Lance (LNCE), Cott (COT), J&J Snack Foods (JJSF), J.M. Smucker (SJM) and TreeHouse Foods (THS) -- companies I've highlighted in our "Under the Radar" series -- have jumped more than 19% since mid-June, outperforming the 17% gain of the S&P 500 Index.
Our quantitative model deemed these stocks undervalued at the time, but investors have since bid them up to excessive prices. TreeHouse, Lance and J&J Snack are trading at sizable premiums to the market.
Many investors are bracing for a market correction after stocks hit their highest levels in almost a year on Wednesday. Food stocks are usually considered steady bets because of their low volatility and resistance to economic swings. But when safe plays jump this much in a short period, it makes you question how safe they truly are.I decided to review companies I've profiled in "Under the Radar." Since the series began in May, my picks have risen 9% on average. Sixty four of the 91 stocks I've recommended, or 70%, have gained value. Of the decliners, the average drop is 4%. Top performers include Ebix
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV