Updates stock price
PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y., (TheStreet) -- Apple's (APPL) new Snow Leopard operating system is flying off the shelves, according to figures from NPD Group, which says that sales have been robust since its Aug. 28 launch.
The tech bellwether has easily eclipsed the launches of Snow Leopard's predecessors, Leopard and Tiger, says the research firm. During the first two weeks post-launch, initial sales have been double that of Leopard and four times that of Tiger, according to NPD.
Snow Leopard's momentum extended beyond the initial first-week purchasing rush, NPD says. Sales only declined about 25% from week one to week two, while Leopard and Tiger fell more than 60% after their respective launches.Touting Snow Leopard as faster, more robust and half the size of OS X Leopard, Apple shrewdly brought the launch forward to capitalize on the back-to-school season. The consumer tech giant also slashed its pricing compared to the earlier version of its Mac software. With a single-user upgrade priced at $29 and a five-user Family Pack that costs $49, the company is attempting to combat declining hardware revenue. "With pricing reduced by more than $100 for both the single-user and five-user pack versus Leopard pricing, Apple has clearly demonstrated that aggressive pricing policies in this economic environment generate an outstanding customer response," said Stephen Baker, vice president of NPD's industry analysis, in a statement. In its third quarter, Apple's Mac revenue declined 8% year over year as people bought cheaper models, so it makes sense for Apple to bolster its software sales with relatively cheap upgrades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV