Psst... These Drug Firms Are Getting Bought: BioBuzz
BOSTON, Mass. ( TheStreet) -- Look for U.S. pharmaceutical companies to ratchet up acquisition activity -- the target being biotech and specialty drug firms, according to Credit Suisse pharmaceuticals analyst Catherine Arnold, in a research note published Thursday morning.
Arnold believes that the cost-saving mega-mergers between Big Pharma are largely done, so now Big Pharma will focus on boosting revenue growth through smaller acquisitions.
So, who's going to buy whom, according to Arnold?
Where is Rigel Partner in Wake of Stock Sale?Rigel Pharmaceuticals is selling more stock, but wasn't the small drug maker supposed to raise money by partnering its experimental rheumatoid arthritis drug? Announced Wednesday after the close, Rigel said it intends to sell 6 million shares with an over-allotment option for another 900,000-shares. At Wednesday's closing price, the offering would gross just under $53 million. Rigel ended the second quarter with about $80 million in cash, enough to get the company into the middle of next year. The new offering will bolster the company's bank account and could help it at the negotiating table as it seeks a partner for R788, a novel pill for rheumatoid arthritis. Or, does this new offering signal that Rigel is having trouble finding a partner interested in R788? The drug is certainly not without controversy. An oral pill for rheumatoid arthritis could be a very big deal given that current medicines -- most notably the so-called "anti-TNFs" like Amgen's (AMGN) Enbrel and Abbott Labs' Humira -- are given by injection.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV