Herman Miller 1Q Profit Falls 75 Pct As Sales Drop
ZEELAND, Mich. (AP) ¿ Office furniture maker Herman Miller Inc. said Wednesday its fiscal first-quarter profit tumbled 75 percent as the economic slump drove a sharp drop in sales.
The Zeeland, Mich.-based company earned $8.4 million, or 14 cents per share, in the three months that ended Aug. 29. That's well below the $33.4 million, or 60 cents per share, it earned a year earlier.
But the company's adjusted profit of 22 cents per share beat analysts' average estimate of 19 cents per share, according to a Thomson Reuters poll. Herman Miller said it recorded costs for restructuring and a debt tender offer during the quarter.
Revenue fell 32 percent to $324 million from $479.1 million, just shy of analysts' $326 million forecast."While we are still facing economic headwinds, our results this quarter are encouraging on several fronts," said Chief Financial Officer Greg Bylsma, in a statement. "The rate of decline in order levels has slowed over the past two quarters and we are seeing continued signs of stabilization in market demand." Herman Miller shares rose 61 cents, or 3.3 percent, to close at $19.15 on Wednesday before the results were announced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV