Attempts To Shape Climate Bill In Full Swing
Meanwhile, oil and gas companies pumped $44.5 million into lobbying Congress and federal agencies in the first three months of the year, according to federal lobbying disclosure data, ramping up spending faster than any other industry.
Efforts to shape legislation has spilled onto the airwaves and to public rallies as well.
The American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity, which has been critical of the House climate bill, said it will buy TV, radio and Internet ads in coming weeks. The group also will direct its 200,000 members to call lawmakers and express concerns about the climate bill and its effect on energy prices.
The coalition earlier this year acknowledged that a firm it hired through a subcontractor sent 12 forged letters to congressional offices that criticized the House climate bill. Coalition spokeswoman Lisa Camooso Miller said it's no longer using the subcontractor, Bonner & Associates.And since August, about 20 rallies have been held across the country in recent weeks in opposition to the House legislation. Attendees cite higher energy costs and job losses. The rallies have been criticized by environmental groups because they were organized by the American Petroleum Institute, which represents major oil companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV