Attempts To Shape Climate Bill In Full Swing
Meanwhile, oil and gas companies pumped $44.5 million into lobbying Congress and federal agencies in the first three months of the year, according to federal lobbying disclosure data, ramping up spending faster than any other industry.
Efforts to shape legislation has spilled onto the airwaves and to public rallies as well.
The American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity, which has been critical of the House climate bill, said it will buy TV, radio and Internet ads in coming weeks. The group also will direct its 200,000 members to call lawmakers and express concerns about the climate bill and its effect on energy prices.
The coalition earlier this year acknowledged that a firm it hired through a subcontractor sent 12 forged letters to congressional offices that criticized the House climate bill. Coalition spokeswoman Lisa Camooso Miller said it's no longer using the subcontractor, Bonner & Associates.And since August, about 20 rallies have been held across the country in recent weeks in opposition to the House legislation. Attendees cite higher energy costs and job losses. The rallies have been criticized by environmental groups because they were organized by the American Petroleum Institute, which represents major oil companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV