Newspaper Stocks Jump On Ad Trends
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ The stocks of newspaper companies surged Wednesday on optimism that deep cost cuts will let them benefit from the economic recovery, even as advertising and readers move online.
A report from market research firm TNS Media Intelligence said the rate of decline in overall advertising spending held steady from the first quarter to the second.
Also, early data for the current quarter "hint at possible improvements for some media" because they will be comparing against steep declines a year ago, according to Jon Swallen, senior vice president of research at TNS.Shares of The New York Times Co. rose 94 cents, or 12 percent, to close at $8.82. The stock of Gannett Co., publisher of USA Today and other papers, rose 93 cents, or 10 percent, to $9.99. The E.W. Scripps Co., publisher of 13 daily newspapers, rose 88 cents, or 11 percent, to $8.83. The McClatchy Co., publisher of The Miami Herald and 29 other daily newspapers, rose 5 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $2.66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV