The tech bellwether, which recently reconfirmed its 2009 and 2010 profit forecast, forced its margins up during the downturn, despite falling revenue and an uncertain spending climate. The company's stock has also risen more than 44% this year as investors warm to the company's aggressive control expenses and margin expansion.
Auerbach Grayson analyst Richard Ross says that IBM's shares, which currently trade around $121, will continue their upward trajectory.
"IBM is quietly in a very strong technical position which has the stock on the verge of a potentially explosive breakout," he wrote, in a note released Wednesday. "A move above $120.88 could propel the shares to a test of the old high around $131 at a minimum."The Armonk, N.Y.-based firm's strong presence on the Dow could also impact the wider stock market, according to Ross. With its 9.3% weighting equal to that of GE (GE), Pfizer (PFE), Bank of America (BAC), Intel (INTC), Cisco (CSCO) and Microsoft (MSFT), IBM could drag the Dow up on its own. "The math alone is enough to drive the market higher (not that it needs any help)," wrote Ross. "IBM is well positioned as the global economic recovery unfolds and the growth story resumes in earnest." In its recent second-quarter results, IBM boosted its pre-tax margin by four points, its biggest margin improvement since it sold off its PC business to Lenovo in 2005. Despite seeing revenue dip 3% year-over-year, the firm also expanded its gross margin by two points.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV