TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: The company swung to a second-quarter loss of $3 million, or 1 cent per share, from a profit of $34 million, or 9 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Revenue fell 25% to $420 million. Its gross margin fell from 46% to 40% and its operating margin dropped from 15% to 5%. A quick ratio of 1.1 indicates adequate liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 1.1 reflects higher-than-ideal leverage.
The stock: ON Semiconductor has advanced 156% this year, outpacing major U.S. indices, despite three consecutive quarterly losses. The company doesn't pay dividends.The model upgraded machinery maker Nordson (NDSN) to "buy." The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter net income fell 26% to $24 million and earnings per share dropped 24% to 71 cents. Revenue declined 29% to $207 million. Its gross margin rose from 59% to 63% and its operating margin increased from 18% to 19%. A quick ratio of 1.6 reflects ample liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3 demonstrates modest leverage. The stock: Nordson is up 77% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 24, a premium to the market and machinery peers. The shares pay a 1.3% dividend yield. The model upgraded gold miner Golden Star Resources (GSS) to "hold." The numbers: The company swung to a second-quarter profit of $380,000, or breakeven per share, from a loss of $7 million, or 3 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Revenue increased 30% to $92 million. Its gross margin rose from 16% to 36%, but its operating margin remained in shallow negative territory. A quick ratio of 0.7 indicates less-than-ideal liquidity. But a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3 demonstrates conservative leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV