Greenpeace Shuts Down Oil Sands Mine In Canada
FORT MCMURRAY, Alberta (AP) ¿ A Greenpeace protest shut down Royal Dutch Shell PLC's massive oil sands mine on Tuesday on the eve of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's visit with President Barack Obama.
Two dozen Greenpeace members chained themselves to giant earth-moving equipment, shutting down Shell's massive Albian Sands oil sands mine in northwestern Alberta for several hours. Alberta's oil sands projects have been criticized as a growing source of greenhouse gas emissions.
Shell temporarily suspended operations to ensure the safety of the activists and of Shell staff, while it negotiated with the protesters.
Shell and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were eager to see a peaceful end to the demonstration as it stretched on through most of the day. Shell spokesman Paul Hagel said the company invited the protesters to unchain themselves and come to a nearby office to discuss their concerns. Shell also offered them food, water and bug spray.RCMP Const. Karolina Malik said the protesters were very polite, so there was no rush to cut the chains or make arrests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV