Supertex Shares Rise After Analyst Upgrade
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of chip maker Supertex Inc. were up more than 5 percent Tuesday after an analyst upgraded the stock to "buy" based on its position as the sole supplier of drivers for Samsung Electronics Co. light-emitting diode televisions.
Collins Stewart analyst John Vinh raised his rating from "hold" and set a $31 price target. The shares were up $1.48, or 5.7 percent, at $27.29 in midday trade.
"Recent checks indicate sell-through of Samsung LED TVs are tracking much better than anticipated given recent price drops," Vinh wrote in a research note.
The thin TV sets from Samsung were on track to sell 3.5 million to 4 million units this year, compared to an estimate of 2.5 million earlier, and back orders were building up as demand outstrips supply, he wrote.Vinh also said the introduction of new cell phones from Motorola Inc. based on Google Inc.'s Android operating system should boost revenue at Supertex's imaging business. Vinh expects earnings per share of 10 cents in the company's fiscal second quarter through September. That estimate is in line with analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. But he foresees full-year earnings of 53 cents per share on $60 million in revenue, higher than the average estimate of 44 cents per share on $62 million in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV