CINCINNATI ( TheStreet) -- Kroger's (KR) earnings report, released today, provides more proof that the supermarket sector is in for a rough second half of the year.
The grocery chain cut its full-year guidance on Tuesday after missing analysts' expectations in the second quarter.
The news sent shares tumbling 7.6% to $20.49 just after the opening bell Tuesday.
During the quarter, the company earned $254.4 million, or 39 cents per share, down from $276.5 million, or 42 cents per share. Analysts expected the company to earn 44 cents a share.Sales slipped 2% to $17.74 billion from $18.09 billion. Kroger cut its full-year earnings guidance to $1.90 to $2 per share from a prior forecast of $2 to $2.05. The company has been viewed by analysts as the best of one of the worst economic sectors. If that is the case, it doesn't bode well for rivals like Safeway (SWY) or Supervalu (SVU). Traditional grocers have been struggling to retain customers who are looking to trade down to discounters like Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), Costco Wholesale (COST) and BJ's Wholesale (BJ). -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV