It has not all been plain sailing, though. The Baltimore native has come under fire for his cost-cutting efforts, which have involved layoffs and shifting jobs to lower-cost parts of the world such as India.
"It's part of many a successful company," said Broadpoint AmTech's Marshall. "The sad state of affairs is that you're not going to have an optimal cost structure if you're running everything from the U.S."
IBM, which competes with Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Sun Microsystems (JAVA) and Microsoft, raised its dividend this year, although Marshall feels that some of its competitors may offer more upside to investors.
Companies like EMC (EMC), Brocade (BRCD) and NetApp (NTAP) are worth a look, according to the analyst. "I think there's more opportunities for finding growth at more attractive valuations than IBM," he said.However, Palmisano is laying the groundwork for future growth. Although he is rarely seen on IBM's earnings calls, Palmisano is hard at work elsewhere, recently throwing his weight behind President Obama's health care IT agenda. "I think he likes
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV