INDIANAPOLIS ( TheStreet) -- Eli Lilly (LLY) will lay off some 5,500 employees by the end of 2011, as the drugmaker prepares to face a slew of patent expirations, including one on its best-selling drug, the antipsychotic Zyprexa.
The Indianapolis company also said it would reorganize itself into four business units and strive to cut costs by $1 billion a year, also by the end 2011.
Or, as Lilly called the moves in its press release announcing the layoffs and the restructuring: "Lilly Unveils Blueprint for Speeding Innovative Medicines to Patients."
The job cuts will bring the company's work force to 35,500 from 40,500. But Lilly also said it expects to hire people in emerging markets and in Japan, where business is growing fastest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV