Food deflation and pricing wars with discounters are expected to sour Kroger's second-quarter earnings results when the company reports on Tuesday -- still, it continues to outperform the rest of the industry.
Analysts expect the company to earn 44 cents in the second quarter. Citi analyst Deborah Weinswig forecasts total sales growth of 2.5% to $18.5 billion during the quarter.
Management did not provide second-quarter guidance, but did say full-year earnings will fall between $2 and $2.05 a share.In its first quarter Kroger posted a 12% gain in profit to 435.1 million, or 66 cents a share, compared with $386 million, or 58 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected earnings of 62 cents a share. Sales, including fuel, declined to $22.8 billion from $23.1 billion, while same-store sales, excluding fuel, rose 3.1% Traditional grocers like Kroger, Safeway (SWY) and Supervalu (SVU) are up against discounters like Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), BJ's Wholesale (BJ) and Costco Wholesale (COST), which have been benefiting from shoppers trading down during our time of economic strife. And Credit Suisse analyst Edward J. Kelly does not expect things to get much better in the second-half of the year. Kelly rates Kroger and Safeway as outperform, while he rates Supervalu's stock as neutral. Shares of Kroger were up 1% in morning trading to $21.97. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV