Avaya In $900 Million Deal For Nortel Business
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Nortel Networks, which has been operating under bankruptcy protection since January, has selected Avaya as the successful bidder for its segment that makes communications systems for businesses.
Basking Ridge, N.J.-based Avaya Inc. will pay $900 million in cash for Nortel Enterprise Solutions and contribute $15 million to an employee retention program. Avaya had previously made a "stalking horse" bid of $475 million for the unit in a court-supervised bankruptcy auction.
Canada-based Nortel Networks Corp. expects the deal to close in the fourth quarter. Canadian and U.S. court approvals will be sought at a joint hearing on Tuesday.
The enterprise unit supplies landline phone systems and other communications equipment to businesses and large organizations around the world.In a statement, Joel Hackney, president of enterprise solutions, said it will be "business as usual" at the unit while it is absorbed by Avaya.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV