Corus Bank Finally Fails
That special dividend netted then-CEO Robert J. Glickman and his family, who owned a controlling interest in Corus at the time, about $25 million, according to published reports.
Following nearly two years of steady decline as the bank's loans -- nearly all condominium construction and conversion loans in key boom-and-bust states such as Florida and California -- soured and losses mounted, Corus announced on July 31 that both the holding company and the bank were insolvent, with negative equity as of June 30.
Corus Bank was included in TheStreet.com's list of banks and thrifts that were undercapitalized as of June 30 -- one of five institutions on the list with negative capital positions. Of a similar list of 89 banks and thrifts that were undercapitalized at the end of the first quarter, 40 have already failed.
Ongoing Bank Failure CoverageAll failures for 2008 and 2009 through last week are detailed in TheStreet.com's interactive bank failure map:
Free Financial Strength RatingsTheStreet.com Ratings issues independent and very conservative financial strength ratings on each of the nation's 8,500 banks and savings and loans. They are available at no charge on the Banks & Thrifts Screener. TheStreet.com Ratings also provides award-winning stock ratings, which are available on the Stock Ratings Screener. -- Reported by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV