Fairfax Completes $1B Equity Offering
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Canadian insurance and asset management company Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. said Friday it completed a public offering to raise $1 billion as part of a plan to buy the remaining stake of Odyssey Re Holdings Corp.
The company sold about 2.9 million subordinate voting shares for $347 per share. Gross proceeds were $1 billion and the company netted $983 million after commissions and expenses.
Fairfax plans to use the proceeds to fund its offering to buy the 27.4 percent of shares Fairfax Financial does not already own for $60 per share in cash.
Stamford, Conn.-based Odyssey Re, which underwrites property and other insurance, received the unsolicited bid from Fairfax on Friday. It is reviewing the offer.If the bid does not go through, Fairfax Financial plans to use the capital to boost its cash position, increase short term investments, pay down debt and general corporate purposes. Fairfax's shares rose $2.04, or 0.6 percent, to $345.89 in afternoon trading. The stock has traded between $209 and $355.62 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV