Fairfax Completes $1B Equity Offering
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Canadian insurance and asset management company Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. said Friday it completed a public offering to raise $1 billion as part of a plan to buy the remaining stake of Odyssey Re Holdings Corp.
The company sold about 2.9 million subordinate voting shares for $347 per share. Gross proceeds were $1 billion and the company netted $983 million after commissions and expenses.
Fairfax plans to use the proceeds to fund its offering to buy the 27.4 percent of shares Fairfax Financial does not already own for $60 per share in cash.
Stamford, Conn.-based Odyssey Re, which underwrites property and other insurance, received the unsolicited bid from Fairfax on Friday. It is reviewing the offer.If the bid does not go through, Fairfax Financial plans to use the capital to boost its cash position, increase short term investments, pay down debt and general corporate purposes. Fairfax's shares rose $2.04, or 0.6 percent, to $345.89 in afternoon trading. The stock has traded between $209 and $355.62 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV