New York (TheStreet) -- Supermarkets could be in for a rough quarter, as food-price deflation and intense competition push down on profits.
Credit Suisse analyst Edward J. Kelly said today that food-price deflation will reach historic highs over the next several months -- which will pose a problem for supermarkets like Kroger (KR), Safeway (SWY)and Supervalu (SVU).
As a result, supermarkets have been forced to lower prices and offer promotions to lure shoppers.Nonetheless, a Labor Department index of food sold to be eaten at home fell for the seventh time in eight months in July. The index dropped 0.5% during the month and is down 0.9% year-over-year. But Kelly said 2010 will see improvements for the sector. Kelly rates both Kroger and Safeway as outperform, but says Supervalu is still struggling from its acquisition of Albertson's in 2006. He rates the stock neutral, but says Supervalu's stock is cheap, and new management could be a catalyst to propel upward movement. So far this week, shares of Kroger are up 0.2%, closing at $21.95 on Thursday, while Safeway jumped about 1.5% to $19.90 and Supervalu spiked 5% to $15.69. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV