Ahead Of The Bell: Supermarkets Face Tough Quarter
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ An analyst on Friday forecast a tough upcoming quarter for supermarkets, given food deflation and high competition, but said this is temporary and that fundamentals will improve in the first half of 2010.
Credit Suisse analyst Edward J. Kelly said he expects food price deflation will accelerate to historic highs in coming months. Supermarkets have quickly passed through lower costs in dairy, for example, to boost traffic. They've also cut prices to recover market share.
Meanwhile, competition remains high, especially as consumers curtail spending and trade down to Wal-Mart Stores and Costco, Kelly said.
Overall, however, he remained positive on supermarkets, saying that stocks don't have much further to fall because investors are already aware of these issues.Kelly said fundamentals will improve in the first half of 2010 when deflation wanes and there are fewer promotions. "While we admit that timing is an issue given that the upcoming quarter should be challenging, it's only a matter of time before the market begins to price in an improving outlook in 2010," he wrote in a client note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV