Biotech Stock Mailbag: Genta Takes Another Stab
But this has been a year in which crazy stuff worked, so we'll know soon enough if Genta can add itself to that list.
My BioBuzz item on Opexa Therapeutics (OPXA) perturbed Nicholas, who writes, "Stop hating [Bleep]-hole. You dont [sic] know [Bleep] about Tovaxin or the validity of the data. The data was good. Your [sic] a [Bleeping] political science major, not a medical expert. You dont [sic] know [Bleep] so dont [sic] write 'more of the same' without more evidence and understanding. Your [sic] a loser!!"
I know, Nicholas' spelling needs work, although I'm proud he got "loser" right. (Remember, it's l-o-s-e-r, not l-o-o-s-e-r.)Judging by his email, I'm not sure I'd want Nicholas to be my go-to expert on Tovaxin either, but his anger was echoed in other emails, all of which accuse me of glossing over the "newness" of Monday's update from the phase II Tovaxin study. I don't think I did that at all. The point I was making was that Monday's data announcement was "more of the same" about the subgroup of multiple sclerosis patients Opexa cherry-picked out of the failed phase II study from last fall. I don't see any sensible reason to believe in Tovaxin until the company conducts another randomized and controlled study in these multiple sclerosis patients. If day traders and momentum investors want to use Opexa as their newest favorite chew toy, then so be it, but please, don't try to base your argument on the strength of the Tovaxin data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV