BOSTON (TheStreet) -- A far cry from the clunkers many people cashed in on, a new wave of luxury cars, with price tags north of $1 million, are hitting the streets.
Originally priced at $1 million, Bugatti, a subsidiary of Volkswagen (VLKAY.PK), has raised the price of its flagship Veyron by $500,000. If that isn't steep enough for your tastes, the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport offers a 16-cylinder, 1,001-horsepower ride for $2.2 million. The Sang Bleu, as the car is alternately called, was produced as part of Bugatti's 100th anniversary.
|A computer rendering of the Natalia SLS 2 sport-luxury sedan.|
The Aston Martin One-77, which gets part of its name from the fact that only 77 will be built, sports a 7.3-liter V-12 engine, a top speed over 200 miles per hour and a 0 to 60 mph time of 3.5 seconds. Though Aston Martin has been somewhat elusive with setting a specific price, industry estimates put it at $1.7 million.Hoping to break into this high-rolling marketplace, DiMora Motorcar is crafting the Natalia SLS 2, a hand-built, 16-cylinder, $2 million luxury sedan. The prototype, currently under construction, will be crammed with features one might expect from a James Bond movie or an old episode of "Knight Rider." A V16 engine will produce 1,200 horsepower. Clemson University's International Center for Automotive Research is collaborating with the Palm Springs, Calif.-based company to design an automotive suspension system that can handle speeds in excess of 240 mph. An optional thermo-chromatic paint job will provide a chameleon-like ability to "change from black or blue when it's cool outside, to white when it's hot." The car's interior can be kept either cool or warm for hours, even with the engine off. Beverage holders will heat or cool drinks. To accommodate the handicapped, the front passenger seat can slide to the right, rotate 90 degrees and lower someone to the ground.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV