It's hard to know where to begin the debunking. But we'll try.
First off, the likelihood of any of these vaccines actually being used to inoculate people against the swine flu in 2009 or 2010 is microscopic.
As everyone knows, the governments of the world's wealthiest nations cast their lots months ago with the big-pharma makers of traditional vaccines. The U.S., for its part, has ordered 195 million doses from five giants, including GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Novartis (NVS) and Sanofi Aventis (SNY).
These companies' traditional vaccine recipes, most of which use chicken eggs as incubators, took decades to develop and commercialize. (Only about 15 vaccines have won regulatory approval in the last 75 years.)They're also tried and true. Severe criticism did rain down on the chicken-egg production process after a worldwide vaccine shortage developed in the wake of a British manufacturing snafu in 2004. But in spite of this, the traditional vaccine makers still own the capacity to produced immense amounts of the stuff and at commodity pricing. Also, the vaccines that come out of the mills actually work well. Thus, for the little biotech firm with dreams of shifting the vaccine paradigm, a daunting task awaits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV