"During recessionary times this category is more at risk," Grant says. "Not everyone considers fragrance as part of their beauty regimen."
Classic scents such as Estee Lauder's (EL) Beautiful, Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle and No. 5 and Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue consistently do well, she says. Scott Beattie, chief executive of Britney champion Elizabeth Arden, said on a conference call last month the company was focusing on core fragrances, such as Red Door, Green Tea, 5th Avenue and Pretty.
That said, Britney's still bringing in cash for the company. According to Elizabeth Arden, Britney brands rose 13% in the June quarter compared to the year-earlier period. "More than half of the sales of Britney brands were outside of North America, which is really attributed to her global popularity," said Joel Ronkin, general manager of North American fragrances at Elizabeth Arden, during the same call. Smells like global teen spirit.
-- Reported by Carmen Nobel in Boston.Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV