TBR's Gottheil, however, points out that while Apple TV can access Google's (GOOG) YouTube and Flickr, it cannot show most Web-based content.
"A full Web browser would significantly enhance any home theatre installation," he added. "The Web is rapidly emerging as the dominant delivery system for video, including television and movies."
By adding a full Web browser to Apple TV, the consumer tech giant would significantly shake up both the home media market and the Internet space. To make a useable browser, though, Apple would have to enable Flash video in the Apple TV browser, according to Gottheil. The company would also need a touchpad remote and wireless keyboard to make a "theatre-size" iPod Touch, he added.
Shares of Apple dipped 18 cents, or 0.10%, to $172.75 in pre-market trading.Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment on this article from TheStreet. Written by James Rogers in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV