CUPERTINO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- With just hours to go before Apple's (APPL) eagerly anticipated Keynote event in San Francisco, speculation is mounting about what surprises the consumer tech giant may have in store.
However, there also has been talk about a possible Apple TV announcement, and at least one analyst thinks that the firm could launch a new version of the wireless device.
"We believe that Apple TV does not sell because it does not support the fastest growing distribution medium for television content: the Web," wrote Ezra Gottheil, an analyst at Technology Business Research, in a note released late Tuesday. "We think Apple will fix Apple TV and realize this potential."Launched in 2007, Apple TV lets users play iTunes content on their TVs, but it has hardly been a going concern for the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm. Previously described as a "hobby" by Apple, the company nonetheless sees great potential for the device. During Apple's first-quarter conference call earlier this year, for example, COO Tim Cook explained that Apple TV unit sales were up almost three times compared to the prior year's quarter, and promised greater support for the technology. "It is clear that the movie rental business has really helped Apple TV and there are more and more customers that want to try it," he explained. "We're going to continue to invest in it, because we fundamentally believe there is something there for us in the future."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV