NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- New lawsuits are adding to leveraged ETF woes, putting ProShares' UltraShort MSCI Emerging Markets (EEV) and UltraShort Financials ETF (SKF) under fire. The new lawsuits, which criticize ProShares' disclosure about these ETFs, come in the wake of a lawsuit against the ProShares UltraShort Real Estate (SRS) and criticism of leveraged funds at large.
Both complaints allege similar misleading practices on the part of ETF issuer ProShares. While Direxion and Rydex also offer leveraged ETF products, ProShares is widely regarded as a pioneer in the leveraged ETF business, offering a range of sector and international leveraged funds.
The complaint against EEV, filed by U.S. firm Gilman and Pastor, notes that the fund was designed to track twice the inverse of the MSCI Emerging Markets index. From Jan. 2, 2008 to Dec. 17, 2008, the MSCI Emerging Markets index fell by 52%, while EEV fell approximately 30%. If the fund tracked twice the inverse of the index for this period, EEV should have risen 104%. (Emphasis mine.)
SKF and SRS have also deviated enormously from their perceived stated objectives, along with other popular leveraged funds like Direxion Daily Financial Bull (FAS) and Direxion Daily Financial Bear (FAZ). The reason for this deviation, the daily tracking objectives of the funds, was evidently not clear to the investors initiating the lawsuits.It is of no surprise that these lawsuits are cropping up now, in the midst of a spate of new financial regulations for the ETF industry. FINRA reminded investors back in June that leveraged ETFs had daily tracking objectives, and were not appropriate for long-term buy-and-hold investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV