M&A's Rise Muted by Gold Rally
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The return of mergers and acquisitions is a bullish sign for the stock market, but surging gold prices and a falling dollar may weigh on its positive effects, market analysts argue.
A handful of deals have been struck in the last few weeks, including Disney's (DIS) acquisition of Marvel Entertainment (MVL), Baker Hughes' (BHI) $5.5 billion takeover of BJ Services (BJS) and Japanese drugmaker Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma's purchase of Sepracor (SEPR).
Tuesday's top headlines indicated that more M&A deals could be in the pipeline, as Cadbury (CBY) rejected a $16.7 billion bid by Kraft Foods (KFT), setting the table for some type of deal involving the two -- or, potentially, Hershey (HSY).
In addition, Deutsche Telecom (DT) announced it would link its T-Mobile U.K. unit with France Telecom's (FTE) Orange U.K. division in a joint venture set to become the largest mobile provider in the country.Normally, M&A announcements are treated as a bullish indicator by the market, and that held true Tuesday. The major U.S. averages were on the rise after European bourses and Asian markets advanced overnight, as traders took the recent deals as a commentary on how these companies view the stock market down the road. "M&A activity can be viewed as a positive, as it shows companies have some confidence and feel it's the right time to go out and buy," said Richard Sparks, senior equity analyst with Schaeffer's Investment Research. "The argument can be made that the better time to buy was back in March, but we had a lot of fear in the market and companies were very unsure about how the future was going to look. This shows there is a little more positivity looking forward, at least with respect to the economy and individual earnings prospects." AUDIO: Listen to Paul Nolte, director of investments with Hinsdale Associates, discuss the effects of M&A activity on the market:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV