COLUMBIA, Md. ( TheStreet) -- The failure of Osiris Therapeutics' (OSIR) stem cell drug Prochymal in two late-stage clinical trials Tuesday was an easy pickup for anyone digging into the shoddy work and shortcuts taken by the company in its previous clinical trials.
Osiris used easy-to-achieve endpoints, liberal definitions of response and enrolled relatively healthy patients in phase II studies of Prochymal in graft-vs.-host disease (GVHD).
It's no surprise, then, to see the phase III studies of Prochymal come up short, especially since these larger studies were designed with stricter, more difficult-to-achieve efficacy endpoints. This is why Osiris was a short at $17 in my old biotech investment newsletter, full disclosure.
In the phase III study of patients with steroid-refractory GVHD, the Prochymal response rate was 35% compared to a 30% response rate for placebo -- a result that wasn't close to being statistically significant, with a p value of 0.30. (A p value of 0.05 or less would have been required for the study to be a success.)The phase III study in newly treated GVHD patients was even uglier, with Prochymal patients doing worse than placebo patients (a 45% response rate for Prochymal vs. 46% response rate for placebo with a p value of 0.80.) There was also no difference in survival between Prochymal patients and those treated with placebo in either study. Osiris shares were off 34% to $8.05 in Tuesday trading, but that still overvalues the company. Prochymal has now failed or otherwise produced negative/equivocal data in studies involving GVHD, knee cartilage damage, Crohn's disease and heart attack.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV