(Updated to include Apple's response, new stock prices)
Apple's iPod event Wednesday is expected to focus on music and it is widely expected to be a showcase for a revamped line of iPods with cameras.
The potential troubles with camera modules were reported Monday on the Appleinsider blog. "Technical difficulties" threaten to delay the new iPod, according to the report that cites a source with "a strong track record in predicting Apple's upcoming product launches."Separately, Hardmac, a French Apple blog reported Monday that a camera glitch has affected some production of the iPod Touch. While big for music fans and particularly huge for Beatles lovers, the iPod event isn't expected to be all that significant for investors who are more focused on Apple's iPhone and Mac products. But if the glitch reports are true, it could cause delays of some of the new iPods during the upcoming holiday season. Chipmaker OmniVision (OVTI) is a key supplier of image sensors to Apple. Apple declined to comment and OmniVision representatives were not immediately available Tuesday. Investors shrugged off the rumors. OmniVision shares were down fractionally and Apple was up 1.4% in recent trading. -- Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV