"Is It Safe?" looks at a company's risk-and-reward potential. Find out if your stocks are safe on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
There has much discussion of the possibility of a market correction following the 50% rise of the S&P 500 Index since March. The Bermuda-based reinsurer could be a good place to park your money for a while.
Everest Re has a beta of less than one, meaning that it's less volatile than the market and would be less affected by a broad decline in stocks. Of course, if the market rises, you might not reap the gains you would for a riskier stock. However, its shares are trading for 14% less than analysts' average price target of $97, according to SNL Financial, so maybe safe isn't a bad place to be.Everest Re is among the 20% of insurance stocks that rose in the past week. Not bad for a safe stock that's up 14% this year and 7.9% for the past 12 months. While its year-to-date gain trails the 15% advance of the S&P 500 Financials Index, the shares climbed even as the benchmark lost 30% in the past year. There are better-known stocks with low betas, including Aetna (AET) at 0.83, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (BRK.B) at 0.62 and WellPoint (WLP) at 0.68. But these stocks aren't as cheap as Everest shares. Everest Re's price-to-earnings ratio of 4.8 is far less than Aetna's 9.5, Berkshire's 11.5 and WellPoint's 9.4. The company is also a strong bet based on price-to-book comparisons. Everest Re has a price-to-book ratio of 93, meaning the book value of the company's assets is more than the market capital. That compares to 115 for WellPoint and 143 for Aetna. While that doesn't make Everest Re a bargain stock, it leaves room for upward price movement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV