Iraq-Shell Gas Deal Likely To Be Delayed
BAGHDAD (AP) ¿ A final deal between Iraq and Royal Dutch Shell PLC to tap natural gas in southern Iraq is likely to be delayed until after January's national elections, a senior Iraqi oil official said on Saturday.
A preliminary deal was signed last September to establish a long-term and multibillion-dollar joint venture within a year to gather, process and market associated natural gas in oil-rich Basra province. Fifty-one percent of the joint venture would go to Iraq, 44 percent to Shell and 5 percent to Japan's Mitsubishi Corp.
Deputy Oil Minister Ahmed al-Shamaa said the focus on campaigning had complicated efforts to reach agreement, but he expects a final deal from Iraq's next government."The current political atmosphere is the one factor that determines more than anything else," he said. The deal has drawn criticism from parliament's oil and gas committee, which says the Oil Ministry's selection of partners on a no-bid basis lacked transparency. The committee's lawmakers also say the deal will allow Shell to monopolize natural gas resources and influence prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV