TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: Second-quarter revenue declined 4% to $955 million, but net income increased 46% to $89 million and earnings per share climbed 52% to $1.95. Its gross margin rose from 19% to 22% and its operating margin increased from 7% to 11%. A quick ratio of 1.5 demonstrates ample liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 1 indicates higher-than-ideal leverage.
The stock: Chiquita is up 1% this year, lagging behind major U.S. indices. The company doesn't pay dividends.The model upgraded industrial machinery maker Chart Industries (GTLS) to "hold." The numbers: Second-quarter profit decreased 20% to $18 million, or 61 cents a share, as revenue dropped 22% to $155 million. Its gross margin rose from 34% to 39% and its operating margin jumped from 18% to 22%. The company has a stable financial position, evident in its quick ratio of 1.9 and debt-to-equity ratio of 0.5. The stock: Chart Industries has surged 79% this year, outpacing major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 7, a discount to machinery stocks and the market. The company doesn't pay dividends. The model upgraded insurer Mercury General (MCY) to "hold." The numbers: Second-quarter net income increased 62% to $114 million, or $2.07 a share, as revenue grew 1% to $796 million. Its gross margin rose from 13% to 22% and its operating margin jumped from 12% to 20%. The company has a strong financial position, with $290 million of cash, compared to $273 million of debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV