A Look At Economic Developments Around The Globe
The Associated Press
A look at economic developments and activity in major stock markets around the world Friday:
TORONTO ¿ Canada added a better-than-expected 27,100 jobs in August, one of the biggest gains since the recession began in the country last fall. But according to Statistics Canada, all of the jobs are part-time. The agency said Canada's unemployment rate edged up to 8.7 percent from 8.6 percent in July, as more Canadians began looking for work. Still, the addition of 27,100 jobs is well above the previous month's 45,000 job retreat. The result also beat consensus expectations of a 15,000 job loss last month.___ FRANKFURT ¿ The German services sector saw second-quarter sales fall 11 percent compared with a year earlier as the economic downturn continued to hurt demand. The Wiesbaden-based Federal Statistical Office said strong declines were seen in the business services sector, which saw sales fall 13 percent, while the transport and warehousing sector saw a 12 percent drop compared with the April-June period of 2008. The number of employed in the overall services sector declined by 2.3 percent, with business services jobs falling more than 6 percent and the transport and warehousing sector jobs dropping about 1 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV