Japan Shares Lower Ahead Of US Employment Data
TOKYO (AP) ¿ Japanese shares ended slightly lower Friday, with few buyers ahead of a key unemployment report in the U.S. and the Group of 20 meeting of top finance officials in London.
The benchmark Nikkei 225 index slipped 0.3 percent, or 27.53 points, to 10,187.11. The broader Topix index fell 0.8 percent to 935.74.
Shares were stuck in a small range for most of the day, echoing the performance on Wall Street overnight, where the Dow Jones industrial average managed a 0.7 percent gain. Investors on both sides of the Pacific are waiting to see if there are signs of a recovery in a jobs report for August due out Friday morning in the U.S.
"Investors were jittery ahead of the U.S. job report," said Yutaka Miura, senior market analyst at Mizuho Securities Co. Ltd."Also investors took a wait-and-see stance ahead of the G-20 meeting," he said. Investors are unsure of what developments will come out of the meeting in London on Friday and Saturday. U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has played down expectations for major announcements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV