TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
Topping the list are two triple-leveraged funds. The Direxion Daily Real Estate Bull 3x Shares (DRN) jumped 41% in its first full calendar month of trading. The more established Direxion Daily Financial Bull 3X Shares (FAS) gained 38%.
The four largest holders of repossessed real estate as of June 30 were JPMorgan Chase (JPM) with $4.9 billion in property, Wells Fargo (WFC) with $2.5 billion, Bank of America (BAC) with $1.8 billion, and Citigroup (C) with $1.7 billion. These ETFs made leveraged bets on these banks and other financial stocks.The best-performing, non-leveraged fund in August was the iPath Dow Jones-UBS Sugar Subindex Total Return ETN (SGG), which returned a sweet 31% in one month. This exchange traded note tracks an index of futures contracts tied to sugar prices called World Sugar No. 11, which trades on the New York Board of Trade's ICE Futures U.S. Softs exchange. One contract for 112,000 pounds of raw cane sugar is now worth $27,316.80, up 31% in a month and a huge jump from the $13,227 it was worth at year-end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV