Fund Lessons From John Bogle
Editor's note: This is another in a series of profiles of stellar stock investors.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- John C. Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group and proclaimed "father of index mutual funds," is widely recognized as one of the giants of the financial world.
Bogle set the stage for today's mutual fund and ETF world, all while keeping his main focus on what is best for the individual investor.
Nobody can accuse Bogle of thinking like everyone else on Wall Street. Born in 1929 in New York City, Bogle is one of twin boys from a financially comfortable family. However, all that changed with the crash of 1929. His family lost its money, and he and his two brothers were forced to get jobs to support the household. The early respect for money he gained from this experience is one quality that has never left him.After attending a private school in New Jersey, Bogle went on to Princeton University where he graduated magna cum laude in 1951 with a degree in economics. His senior thesis would gain the attention of fellow Princeton alumni, Walter L. Morgan, the founder of the Wellington Fund. Bogle was hired by Morgan after graduation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV