Duckwall-ALCO August Same-store Sales Decline
ABILENE, Kan. (AP) ¿ Duckwall-ALCO Stores Inc. said Thursday that sales at stores open at least a year dropped 4.2 percent in August, hurt by a shift in the Labor Day holiday and first-of-the-month paychecks.
Total monthly sales fell 4 percent to $33.1 million, the discount store operator said.
For the year to date, sales at established stores edged up 0.4 percent, while total sales increased 3 percent to $270.5 million.
Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, are a key indicator of retailer performance since they measure growth at existing stores rather than newly opened ones.Duckwall-ALCO has 257 stores. Shares fell 26 cents to $16.88 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV