Dainippon to Buy Sepracor for $2.6B
OSAKA, Japan (TheStreet) -- Japanese drugmaker Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma confirmed it has reached an agreement to buy Sepracor (SEPR) for $23 a share, or $2.6 billion, in an effort to help sell its Lurasidone drug in the U.S.
Shares of Sepracor closed Thursday at $22.80, after rising on rumors of a potential deal. Sepracor closed Tuesday at $18.03, making the acquisition premium 27.6%.
Dainippon plans to file for U.S. marketing approval next year of its experimental schizophrenia drug Lurasidone. The acquisition is seen as a way to gain access to Sepracor's sales force.
Various earlier reports had put the acquisition price at $2.7 billion.The boards of both companies have approved the deal. Under the terms of the definitive agreement, Dainippon will begin a tender offer no later than Sept. 15 for Sepracor shares at $23 a share. "Sepracor has pursued growth through development of its unique pipeline and introduction of innovative pharmaceutical products to the market, a strategy that fits perfectly with our management philosophy," said Dainippon President Masayo Tada, in a statement. "We expect that Sepracor will become a 'Center of Excellence' for DSP in the U.S., and will make a significant contribution to DSP both as a commercialization infrastructure for our self-developed products and as a strategically important base for business development." -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV