TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter net income plummeted 89% to $600,000, or 8 cents a share. Revenue declined 26% to $31 million. Its gross margin decreased from 20% to 18% and its operating margin remained steady at 7%. Alico has a stable financial position, evident in its quick ratio of 2.7 and debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7.
The stock: Alico is down 33% this year, trailing major U.S. indices. The stock offers a 2% dividend yield.The model downgraded Beneficial Mutual Bancorp (BNCL) to "hold." The numbers: The company swung to a second-quarter loss of $50,000 from a profit of $9.1 million a year earlier because of increased credit costs and deposit insurance expenses. Revenue declined 1% to $53 million. Its gross margin fell from 59% to 56% and its operating margin dropped from 24% to 19%. The company is adequately capitalized, with $42 million of reserves. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 demonstrates reasonable leverage. The stock: Beneficial Mutual has fallen 22% this year, lagging behind major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 106, a premium to the market and financial peers. The model downgraded CKX Lands (CKX), an owner of land and mineral interests in Louisiana, to "hold." The numbers: Second-quarter net income dropped 74% to $130,000, or 7 cents a share, as revenue fell 69% to $300,000. Its gross margin declined from 91% to 89% and its operating margin decreased from 82% to 55%. The company has a superlative financial position, with zero debt and ample liquidity, demonstrated by its quick ratio of 148.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV