Student Lenders Face Lawsuit About Overpayments
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) ¿ A former U.S. Department of Education researcher has filed a lawsuit against 10 student loan companies to recover roughly $1 billion the companies received improperly.
The lawsuit Jon Oberg filed in eastern Virginia's federal court was unsealed on Monday. Oberg filed the lawsuit on behalf of the U.S. government as a whistle-blower because he helped uncover the overpayments.
The lawsuit asks for the companies to return overpayments they received improperly.
A government audit found several student lenders had received an artificially high rate of return through a program that was supposed to be phased out in 1993.The defendants include two of the biggest student lenders: Lincoln, Neb.-based Nelnet Inc. and Reston, Va.-based Sallie Mae.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV