TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund recommendations using proprietary tools. Our "safety first" approach aims to reduce risk while achieving total return performance.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- These companies have annual revenue that's more than $500 million, below-average valuations, debt that's less than 49% of total capital and "buy" ratings from our quantitative model, which considers more than 60 factors. They're ordered by their potential to appreciate, starting with the company with the best growth prospects.
Village Super Market (VLGEA) operates the ShopRite supermarket chain.
The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter net income increased 25% to $6.3 million, or 47 cents a share, as revenue increased 7% to $293 million. Same-store sales, a key gauge of retailer improvement, jumped 7%. Its gross margin decreased from 28% to 27%, but its operating margin rose from 3% to 4%. The company has a modest $36 million debt load and more than $47 million of cash, translating to a quick ratio of 0.8 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.2.The stock: Village Super Market shares are flat this year, trailing behind major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 17, a discount to the market and grocery peers. The shares offer a 3% dividend yield. Church & Dwight (CHD) sells household products, including Arm & Hammer baking soda and Brillo pads. The numbers: Second-quarter net income increased 27% to $58 million, or 88 cents a share. Revenue jumped 5% to $623 million. Its gross margin rose from 44% to 49% and its operating margin expanded from 14% to 18%. A quick ratio of 1.2 demonstrates ample liquidity and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.5 indicates conservative leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV