TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As the stock market climbs the wall of worry, some investors are vowing not to look down. If you're worried about another drop, you should take the opposite approach and consider the stock mutual funds that have had the smallest drawdowns during the bear market.
A "drawdown" is a fund's biggest percentage decline, from its high to its low, in a given period. It reflects how a fund performed in the worst-case scenario. The logic is that if, in the worst of times, these funds fell less than others, they are safer.
During the three years that ended July 31, the Fidelity Select Biotech Portfolio (FBIOX) had the best drawdown, falling 32% between July 29 and Nov. 20, 2008. With heavy weightings of Amgen (AMGN), Gilead Sciences (GILD), Biogen Idec (BIIB), Genzyme (GENZ), and Celgene (CELG), the fund is staging a comeback. The fund has regained more than half of its decline, and looks primed to continue its ascent.Eight of the 10 "buy"-rated stock funds with the smallest drawdown rates target the health care and biotechnology sectors. Spending on medical care has remained constant despite the weak economy. The Forester Value Fund (FVALX) had the top drawdown among funds not exclusively focused on health care, declining 32%. While almost 15% of the fund is invested in drug stocks, this A-plus fund also holds companies such as 3M (MMM), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), AT&T (T) and Microsoft (MSFT).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV