BRISBANE, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) strikes fear in its competitors whenever it rolls out a new initiative. But with the addition of vendors to its Web site it is taking aim at some new rivals: Amazon.com (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY).
The behemoth retailer announced on Monday that it is adding one million new products to its Web site by teaming with outside vendors. The new items will come from vendors that include CSN Stores, Pro Team and eBags, expanding Walmart's offerings in home, baby, apparel, sporting goods and toys.
Moving forward, Wal-Mart says it plans to pair with more vendors -- a strategy that could pose a threat to online market places like Amazon and eBay.
Of course with only three outside vendors, its current threat to these other third-party sites is minimal. But if the discount giant lives up to its word and does add more vendors, a pinch will surely be felt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV