Answer: by owning bonds.
"Starting at any time from 1980 up to 2008, an investor in 20-year Treasuries, rolling them over every year, beat the S&P 500 through January 2009," says financial forecaster John Mauldin.
Despite the famous bull market in stocks that began in the early 1980s with the Dow trading around 800, the bond market outperformed stocks as interest rates fell. In the early 1980s, amid fears of massive inflation, yields on 20-year Treasuries were 15%. They've recently fallen to below 4%, generating tremendous profits along the way.Over the long run, history says that a portfolio of stocks will outperform a portfolio of bonds. But there have been some periods when bonds have beat stocks. In fact, we're nearing the tail end of one of those periods. People rarely praise the performance of bonds during the past 20 years, and no cocktail party discussion ever involved a hot tip on bonds, but suddenly bonds are moving to center stage. That's because everyone from your mother to your portfolio manager is suddenly searching for yield. With 10-year Treasuries now at 3.5%, and your mom's CDs earning less than 1%, there's a mad rush for income. Sadly, there's very little discussion of price risk, which will only become apparent in hindsight if inflation returns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV