The states that have had the most bank failures during 2008 and 2009 continue to dominate the undercapitalized list. Georgia, Florida and Illinois each have 15 undercapitalized banks or thrifts on the list, followed by California with 11.
Georgia continues to lead all states with 23 bank or thrift failures during 2008 and 2009, followed by Illinois with 14 failures, California with 13, Florida with eight and Nevada with five failures.
Large bank holding companies that have acquired failed institutions during 2008 and 2009 include JPMorgan Chase (JPM), which acquired Washington Mutual, the largest-ever bank or thrift to fail in the U.S.; SunTrust Banks (STI); Regions Financial (RF); Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB); U.S. Bancorp (USB); Zions Bancorp (ZION); PNC Financial (PNC); and BB&T (BBT).
Free Financial Strength Ratings
TheStreet.com Ratings issues independent and very conservative financial strength ratings on each of the nation's 8,500 banks and savings and loans. They are available at no charge on the Banks & Thrifts Screener.-- Reported by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter Fla. The writer owns shares in Riverside Banking Co., the holding company for Riverside National Bank of Florida, a former employer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV